Sunday, August 5, 2012

After a long absence: gluten-free banana-peanut butter cheesecake (with candied pecans)!

I have been so remiss at updating for quite some time.  I apologize for that.  We lost the USB connector for phone-to-computer transferring, so I've been without pictures.  Now that I have a nice iPhone 4S, I can easily email myself any pictures I need to.

This recipe is somewhat more complicated than my other recipes, though I've condensed the list of ingredients to make it easier to assemble--though assembly is a three-part process!  This is gluten-free, but not low-carb.

This Nom Needs:
For the crust:
1 cup crushed pecans (you can buy them this way or use a food processor)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup or imitation maple syrup

For the filling:
8 oz. whipped cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 packet banana pudding mix

For the topping:
18 whole pecans
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

However long the ingredient list, the process is not very complicated (hence the lack of pictures):

For the crust:
Combine pecans and butter.  Press into a greased nine-inch cake pan.  Drizzle maple syrup on top.  Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until top and edges start to brown.  Remove and let cool.

For the filling:
Combine all ingredients and beat until completely mixed.  Pour cheesecake mixture into crust and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until top starts to bubble and brown.  The top should "inflate" a little bit like a balloon--this is nothing to worry about, it's the effect of the banana pudding and causes the pie to have a texture more similar to thick pecan pie than a smooth cheesecake.

For the topping:
Roast pecans in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes.  Heat butter in saucepan on stovetop at medium heat.  Add syrup and 1 tablespoon brown sugar and whisk until combined.  Let the mixture come to a boil and then immediately remove from heat.  Roll pecans in the mixture, then sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.  Press into still-warm pie.  Sprinkle peanut butter chips around the pecans.

Servings: About 12

(This entry is a work-in-progress; I'm having issues with my home network and can't upload what pictures I do have at this time.  Please be patient; there will be pictures eventually!)

No comments:

Post a Comment